For the Love of Rock and Metal is a blog dedicated to music articles, concert reviews, CD reviews, interviews and all other things related to rock and metal. There is an emphasis on local or semi-local music in the Madison, WI area.

Monday, July 30, 2012

New Release: Art of the Flesh EP “Redemption”





Just this week, Art of the Flesh’s new EP became available on CD Baby for purchase.

I have been listening to this CD for about 2 weeks and I must say that I love it. The EP features four songs and two bonus tracks. This EP has a unique and divergent sound that cannot be mistaken for anything else.

Neurological Apocalypse is a steady, easy to follow beat that leads into a song that can only be described as a strobe light for your ears. Redemption has an opening that is misleadingly simple but gradually flows into a more complex sound that I have come to see as the trademark sound of this band. As my mother says, “It sounds like someone poked him with a red hot poker.” Now, that may sound like an insult (which I’m sure she meant it as), but I think it shows the raw emotion that comes through in this entire album.

Thy Insidious Illisions and If These Walls Could Talk highlight Art of the Flesh’s amazing talent and sound in the unclean vocals, swift and crisp sounds, and amazing clean vocals. I had to go as far as to ask the vocalist, Dan Schulz, if he did the clean vocals for the album because the difference between the clean and unclean vocals and the pure talent is undeniable. It is remarkable that one person was able to create the different sounds.

The bonus tracks, With Devils Speed and Born To Suffer (available at the YouTube link below) are just as good as the four songs preceding them. With amazing vocals, guitars and drums it is easy to get lost in the music. I’ll be honest: I can’t listen to this just once. I get to the end of the CD and start it over again. I’m a little concerned that I’m going to wear the down the track for If These Walls Could Talk. It is my favorite Art of the Flesh song and I love the entire thing, from the slow start to the “laugh” sound leading into the crushing thrash metal to the clean vocals.



So, here’s what you do. You go to this website and you buy their EP. And while you’re at it, you can also get the first CD Aalakaa on there. Together, you’ll pay less than $16 for both. And go check out their Facebook and like them. Now do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment