For the Love of Rock and Metal is a blog dedicated to music articles, concert reviews, CD reviews, interviews and all other things related to rock and metal. There is an emphasis on local or semi-local music in the Madison, WI area.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Mosh Pit Etiquette

Friday's Lamb of God show (amazing, by the way) reminded me that maybe some people - especially those who are not exactly seasoned veterans in the mosh pit world - need a quick reminder about proper mosh pit etiquette. It's sad that people need to be told, but apparently they do.


Mosh pits are awesome. If you have never experienced one, then you should. Yes, there are sometimes broken bones and blood but it's all part of the fun. You can hit and run into people and just have a good time, but there are some basic rules that should be followed.

1) If someone falls, PICK THEM UP. Seriously, pick them up. Don't let them get stomped on and trampled. That's how people die.

2) Hitting is ok. Really, it is. But if you actually hurt someone, it's nice to check to see if they're ok and maybe shake hands or do a clap on the back or if you're into it, give them a metal hug. It's all in the name of family and brother(and sister)hood.

3) Girls have tits. I know! It's crazy, right?! But if there's a girl in or near the pit (or anywhere in the crowd) it's not ok to cop a feel. Just because I have titties and play with the big boys does not mean it's ok for you to squeeze them. Accidental contact is fine. Hell, I don't even care about the slight "brush-up" even when on purpose, but if you actually grab them like some asshole, I will hit you in the face.

4) Speaking of girls, they're allowed in the pit. Don't try to push them out or lead them away just because you're afraid they're getting hurt. I'm a big girl and I can take care of myself. I've been hurt many, many times in the pit just like a lot of the guys. They are my war stories and my battle wounds and I proudly claim them. I don't need to be protected. Seriously, it's sweet but if I tell you I'm fine, then I'm fine. Leave me alone or kick my ass a little.

5) If someone is trying to get out of the pit and is having trouble, help them. Even if you have to push through the crowd with them in front of you or behind you, help them out. Sometimes if they are injured and it is a really large crowd, the quickest way to get them to safety is body surfing (I know, sounds crazy). Make sure they're ok with it before you lift them up!

6) If someone is on the edge of the pit but not joining in, they are there for a reason. If they wanted to be inside of it, they would be. Don't drag people in that don't want to go in. Especially don't do this if you're going to stand on the edge and push people in without ever joining in. Don't be that dick.

7) Don't let a crowd surfer fall in the pit.

8) Just use common sense. Have fun, get brutal, but keep everyone safe.

If anyone else has any ideas about mosh pit etiquette, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Try NOT to get yourself KO'ED ( KNOCKED OUT) meaning you'll lose conciseness and be lying like a dead body on the ground

    ReplyDelete