For the Love of Rock and Metal is a blog dedicated to music articles, concert reviews, CD reviews, interviews and all other things related to rock and metal. There is an emphasis on local or semi-local music in the Madison, WI area.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My Introduction to the Local Metal Scene by Jody Thomas

I mentioned before that I'm kind of disappointed in the local music scene recently - not the bands, but the lack of people showing up. I know the economy sucks and bars are expensive and some cover charges are getting out of control, but it still makes me sad. So, I asked my good friend Jody to write a little something about being introduced to the local metal scene. I drag her with me to a lot of shows (now she even comes willingly!) and we always have a great time. If you know someone who might enjoy a show, then bring them out next time. If everyone going to a show brings one friend, we could pack most of the local venues quickly. Anyway... on to Jody's column.

My Introduction to the Local Metal Scene
By Jody Thomas

Before my adventures with Nicki, my knowledge and exposure to local metal bands was almost non-existent.  In fact, I didn’t even know the different genres of metal music.  I basically thought there was only loud and louder.  Don’t get me wrong, loud is good.

Besides the music, one of my favorite things about going to local shows is seeing the bands appreciation of their fans.  In all of the shows that I’ve been to after a band finished a set they would stick around and listen to the other bands and interact with their fans.

One of my favorite shows was Taproot, Silence is Broken, Vintage Burning and 2211.
Although the venue wasn’t that friendly the music was great.
With the exception of 2211, who looked like they would rather be home in bed than playing music, the bands put their heart and soul into their music.

I must say it’s quite easy to get “star struck” at these shows.  Especially with the bands that really enjoy what they’re doing.

I’m very happy that Nicki has opened my eyes and ears into the local metal scene.  I am also happy to say that I haven’t suffered any hearing loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment